What is DMAX Function in Excel?
The DMAX function is one of the Database functions of Excel.
DMAX function returns the largest number in the field (column) of records in the database that matches the conditions you specify.
We can find this function in the Database category of the insert function Tab.
How to use DMAX function in excel
- Click on an empty cell (like F5 )
2. Click on the fx icon (or press shift+F3)
3. In the insert function tab you will see all functions
4. Select Database category
5. Select the DMAX function
6. Then select ok
7. In the function arguments Tab you will see DMAX function
8. In the Database section you can enter the range of cells that makes up the list or database. A database is a list of related data (ex: Table1)
9. Field section is either the label of the column in double quotation marks or a number that represents the column’s position in the list (ex: C1)
10. Criteria section is the range of cells that contains the conditions you specify. The range includes a column label and one cell below the label for a condition (ex: Table1)
11. You will see the result in formula result section
Examples of DMAX function in excel
calculate the max of student age with DMAX function
=Dmax(Table1[#All],"Age",Table1[#All])----->>>>answer is 29
calculate the max of student height with DMAX function
=Dmax(Table1[#All],"Height",Table1[#All])----->>>>answer is 210
calculate the max of student age>22 height<205 weight>230 with DMAX function
=Dmax(Table7[#All],"Age",B1:D2)----->>>>answer is 29
Python code for DMAX function
import pandas as pd df=pd.read_csv(‘example.csv’) maxdf = df.max(axis=0, numeric_only= True) print (maxdf)
What is the purpose of DMAX function?
It returns the largest number in the field (column) of records in the database that matches the conditions you specify.
What is the Return value of DMAX function?
It just return number.
Dmax (database, field, criteria)=number
How many arguments does DMAX function have?
DMAX(database, field, criteria)
DMAX function has 3 arguments.
- In the Database section you can enter the range of cells that make up the list or database
- Field section is either the label of the column in double quotation marks
- Criteria section is the range of cells that contains the conditions you specify
Which version of excel supports DMAX function?
This function is available for all excel versions (2003-2019)
Errors in DMAX function
If no record matches the criteria, DMAX returns the 0 value.
If more than one record matches the criteria, DMAX returns one of the largest value.
Conditions and criteria range in DMAX function
Criteria argument in DMAX function
we can define any range for the criteria argument: it has 2 condition
1. It includes at least one column label
2. It includes at least one cell under the column label.
For example, if the range A1:A2 contains “Name” in A1 and “Benjamin” in A2,
you could define A1=”Name” & A2=”Benjamin”
DMAX function find the word of “Benjamin” under “name” column
location of Criteria range in DMAX function
Although the criteria range can be located anywhere on the worksheet, do not place the criteria range below the list. If you add more information to the list, the new information is added to the first row below the list. If the row below the list is not blank, Microsoft Excel cannot add the new information.
Make sure that the criteria range does not overlap the list.
To perform an operation on an entire column in a database, enter a blank line below the column labels in the criteria range.