What is F.DIST function in Excel?
The F.DIST function is one of the Statistical functions of Excel.
It returns the (left-tailed) F probability distribution (degree of diversity) for two data sets.
We can find this function in Statistical category of insert function Tab.
How to use F.DIST function in excel
- Click on an empty cell (like F5).
2. Click on the fx icon (or press shift+F3).
3. In the insert function tab you will see all functions.
4. Select STATISTICAL category.
5. Select F.DIST function.
6. Then select ok.
7. In the function arguments Tab you will see F.DIST function.
8. X is the value at which to evaluate the function, a non-negative number.
9. Deg_freedom1 is the numerator degrees of freedom, a number between 1 and 10^10, excluding 10^10.
10. Deg_freedom2 is the denominator degrees of freedom, a number between 1 and 10^10, excluding 10^10.
11. Cumulative is a logical value for the function to return: the cumulative distribution function = TRUE; the probability density function = FALSE.
12. You will see the results in the formula result section.
Examples of F.DIST function in Excel
F.DIST related functions
- Use F.DIST.RT function to return the exponential distribution.
- Use F.INV function to return the inverse of the F probability distribution: if p = F.DIST(x,…), then F.INV(p,…) = x.
- Use F.INV.RT function to return the (right-tailed) F probability distribution (degree of diversity) for two data sets.
- Use F.TEST function to return the inverse of the (left-tailed) F probability distribution: if p = F.DIST(x,…), then F.INV(p,…) = x.